Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tribute to my Uncle Pentti



Uncle Pentti has been in my life for 53 years. 32 of those years he was diligent in remembering my kids' birthdays, Christmas and writing letters at least once a month. 32 years is a long time for anyone to keep in touch long distance. But Uncle Pentti was unwavering in his commitment to family. He passed away August 29, 2009 and I will miss his notes and cards and letters.

My Uncle Pentti had many challenges in life. His physical development stopped around age 12 and his hope all his life was to be "normal", to be able to get married and have a family. He knew this was not possible, but in stead of drowning in self pity he took on serving others. He received the highest honor in scouting for 40 years of service. He took care of both his mom and dad (my grandma and grandpa) until they passed away. He was always willing to assist others and make sure everyone had what they needed.

When I was a young girl, I remember Uncle Pentti giving up his share of fruit or piece of cake so that I would not have to go without. He took my sisters and I swimming in the summer making sure we were safe at our favorite swimming hole. He would tell us stories of his childhood or stories about relatives he went and visited. And that really was his favorite thing to do - tell stories.

Uncle Pentti had an opportunity to come to United States about 13 years ago. My kids remember him always willing to play with them making up games that did not necessarily need a common language. The bond of family and friendship didn't need to be spoken. He talked about that American vacation for years! We always laugh when we think about Pentti sitting next to Ron in the big truck yelling "Easy boy!" when Ron was driving too fast for his liking.

Uncle Pentti was born May 11, 1934. His favorite pet was a goat because it reminded him of him - stubborn and hard headed. His life truly was devoted to family and serving others. I have a lot to learn from his life and choices he made along the way. Open, honest, non-assuming, loving and true he has taught us all about how life should be lived. I love you Uncle Pentti. Enjoy your new life - life free from physical stress and closer to heaven.

1 comment:

dxeechick said...

i love that old picture of him! very nice tribute, mom. i wish i had known him better.